Running Down a Dream...

"Your body will argue that there is no justifiable reason to continue. Your only recourse is to call on your spirit, which fortunately functions independently of logic." 
- Tim Noakes

Did you know that only 5% of the U.S. population have run and finished a full marathon!? Depending on how you look at it, that's staggering; either 15.5 million people are glutton for punishment OR 15.5 million people are complete bad asses!  I associate more with the "self - flagellating" people, but aspire to be a bas-ass! Therefore I have decided I am going to attempt to train for and run my first marathon!  As John Bingham once said, "Believe that you can run farther or faster. Believe that you're young enough, old enough, strong enough, and so on to accomplish everything you want to do. Don't let worn - out beliefs stop you from moving beyond yourself." So my first step is believing!!

Now, roll call for all the other crazy runners...where do I go from here? I need y'alls help and support! This is what I have/know so far:
1) A good training program.  I've completed three half - marathons, and used the Hal Higdon method for all of them. That was okay, but I'm thinking I need something better for a full.  I downloaded the app Gipis to my iPhone.  So far I'm loving it!!! Has anyone ever trained with this before?  Does anyone have any other/better suggestions?

2) Motivation: CHECK!  January 4, 2014 will be the 5 year anniversary of my mother's death. She fought breast cancer for almost 9 years before losing her battle. 20 weeks from Sunday, on February 23rd, is the National Breast Cancer Marathon in Jacksonville Beach, Florida, and my motivation is to run & finish in her memory! Two of my three half - marathons were run at this race with an entire team of family & friends, so it only seems appropriate that my first marathon be at it as well.



3) Accountability: CHECK! My wonderful husband has agreed to attempt to train and run it too. Also, the Gipis app lets you track your friends' progress, and vice-versa.  This can be motivational when you see others completing their runs when you have not.  Unfortunately because my husband and I have different schedules we sometimes have to run separately.  But that doesn't deter me because I have this guy!


Best training partner!!!


So, what else do I need peeps?  Help a sistah out!! Thanks in advance and stay posted for training updates - eek!

~ Happy Running ~
Morgan

"In running, it doesn't matter whether you come in first, in the middle of the pack, or last.  You can say, 'I have finished.' There is a lot of satisfaction in that."
-Fred Lebow

Labels: , , , , ,