While at my Sister-In-Law's house over the holidays she introduced me to "The Bullet"...or otherwise known as Bulletproof Coffee. Bulletproof Coffee is a blended drink made of upgraded black coffee blended together with grass-fed unsalted butter (ghee) and brain octane oil and I'm addicted!!!! Not only did I think it was delicious but it's also extremely healthy for you. Being pregnant I'm only allowed 200mg of caffeine a day, so this is my special treat every morning PLUS I know it's good for me and the baby. Here's the deets (all from the Bulletproof website) before we get to the recipe...
1) Upgraded coffee beans are free of performance - robbing mold toxins. Upgraded Coffee is from a high-elevation, single-origin coffee estate in Guatemala. It contains high-quality Arabica beans (which are less likely to grow mold) and it’s produced using a special method (unique to Bulletproof coffee) that minimizes mycotoxin contamination. Upgraded Coffee Beans are also tested for mold contamination and held to stringent quality standards.
2)Grass-fed butter is full of high-quality fats and nutrients. Cows evolved to eat grass, not factory farm lot feed. Grass-fed cows are healthier than factory-farmed or grain-fed cows, and the butter they produce reflects their good health. Grass-fed butter is higher than grain-fed butter in omega-3 fatty acids, CLA, beta-carotene, vitamin A, vitamin K, vitamin D, vitamin E, and antioxidants. You can actually see the difference in the butter: grass-fed butter is a sunny yellow color, while grain-fed/factory-farmed butter is almost white. The lack of color is a sign that the butter is coming from sick, nutrient-depleted cows. Grass-fed butter is high in butyrate, a short-chain fatty acid. Studies show that butyrate can both prevent and decrease inflammation in humans. Butter is nutrient-dense. A single tablespoon of butter contains: 500 IU vitamin A, More carotenes than carrots, and High amounts of vitamin K2, vitamin D, and vitamin E. Grass-fed butter is a superfood. It’s also much easier to come by than yak butter is. Kerrygold is an excellent grass-fed butter brand, and it’s stocked in most supermarkets.
3)Brain Octane Oil provides fast energy with no crash.
Now the recipe...
- Brew 1 cup (8-12 oz.) of coffee
- Add in 1-2 tablespoons of Brain Octane™ (OR COCONUT OIL) to the hot coffee
- Add 1-2 tablespoons grass-fed, unsalted butter or ghee
- Mix it all in a blender for 20-30 seconds until it is frothy like a foamy latte
- I also sometimes add a little coconut milk, cashew milk, and Cacao for flavor.
It’s really fast and easy to prepare. BTW, do not do this with salted butter. Kerrygold butter, another grass-fed brand of butter ,or Ghee really matters because corn or soy-fed cows don’t make butter with the same fats. Those butters don’t blend well, don’t taste good, and don’t make you feel "Bulletproof".
Enjoy Lovies!!! I'm sipping on mine as we speak!
You can find me on...
Linking up with:
Labels: Bulletproof Coffee, healthy, healthy drink, How to make Bulletproof Coffee, recipe, Taste of Tuesday, The Bullet